Filmmaker Wong Kar Wai credits Ip Man’s generation for passing on the martial arts tradition despite upheaval in China. His latest film, The Grandmaster, which stars Tony Leung as Ip Man, is an action-packed meditation on Chinese martial arts philosophy that is intentionally old-fashioned.
“Today we see the Chinese went through rapid changes. It’s time for us to return to our roots and to revisit our heritage,” Wong says.
True to Wong’s signature art-house style, The Grandmaster is one lush sequence after another. In an early scene, a gleaming brothel serves as the battleground for Ip Man and his rivals. The film crisscrosses over decades between Hong Kong and mainland China.
Out now the incredible soundtrack album to The Grandmaster at iTunes here: http://bit.ly/1d2AvpW
Out Now- GET IT HERE
The Grandmaster Track Listing:
01. Main Theme I – Opening – Shigeru Umebayashi & Nathaniel Mechaly
02. Main Theme II – Dreaming of the 64 Hands – Shigeru Umebayashi
03. Love Theme I – Shigeru Umebayashi
04. Love Theme II – Shigeru Umebayashi
05. Beijing Opera – Si Lang Tan Mu – Traditional
06. The Gold Pavilion – Shigeru Umebayashi
07. Manchuria Express – Shigeru Umebayashi & Nathaniel Mechaly
08. Action 150 – Vichaya Vatanasapt, Traithep Wongpaiboon & Nathaniel
09. Sorekara Epilogue I – Kokuhaku – Shigeru Umebayashi
10. Moyou (from the film “Sorekara”) – Shigeru Umebayashi
11. Opium – Shigeru Umebayashi & Nathaniel Mechaly
12. Casta Diva (from the opera “Norma”) – Vinenzo Bellini
13. Main Theme IV – The Sacrifice – Shigeru Umebayashi & Nathaniel
14. La Donna Romantica – Ennio Morricone
15. Once Upon a Time in America: Deborah’s Theme – Ennio
16. Manchurian Bolero – Nathaniel Mechaly & Shigeru Umebayashi